Slow Cooker Sorghum Risotto with Shrimp & Artichokes

Shrimp & Artichoke Sorghum Risotto @Cara's Cravings-3

There comes a time in every food blogger’s career that an old recipe starts getting negative attention.

Just kidding. I really hope that doesn’t happen to you. I wouldn’t wish it upon anyone!

A recipe I published a a few years ago had the bittersweet pleasure of going viral on Pinterest and such, and when that happens, you get the bad with the good. Unfortunately some people felt this recipe was lacking flavor. Having not made this recipe very recently myself, I really couldn’t argue with them – I remembered it being pretty tasty, but that’s about it! Giving the benefit of doubt that it was being made correctly, I still accepted that there was probably room for some improvement. So I pulled out the ol’ slow cooker and got to work.

Besides adding a couple ingredients to make sure this meal was chock full of flavor, I made a couple other changes as well. I swapped gluten-free supergrain sorghum for the barley, and took out the one hard-to-find ingredient (concentrated lobster broth base) to make this more accessible for all.

And I hounded my husband to tell me if it was flavorful. He said it was. Sundried tomatoes, an extra pinch of salt, and parsley will do that!

I’m putting this out here knowing that there are about 50 zillion food blogs and I don’t expect the naysayers to come back and try the udpated version. There are many fish in the sea. But for those of you reading this now – know that I do read your feedback and I DO care.

PrintPrint SaveSave

Slow Cooker Sorghum Risotto with Shrimp & Artichokes

Yield: 4 servings

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 4 hours

Total Time: 4 1/2 hours

1 cup chopped yellow onion
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 cup whole grain sorghum, rinsed
3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
1 12oz package frozen quartered artichoke hearts
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined (uncooked, thawed if frozen)
2oz grated pecorino romano cheese
3oz baby spinach
1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley

In a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat, saute the onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute, stirring. Add lemon juice, increase heat to medium, and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 1 minute.

Transfer to the slow cooker and stir in sorghum, broth, sundried tomatoes, artichokes, salt and pepper. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, or until sorghum is tender and the liquid is just about all absorbed.

About 15 minutes before serving, stir in the shrimp and grated cheese. Cover and continue to cook on high for another 10 minutes, or until shrimp are opaque. Fold in the baby spinach, stirring until it's wilted. Stir in parsley last. Divide among serving bowls and serve immediately.

Cara Lyons,

18 Responses to “Slow Cooker Sorghum Risotto with Shrimp & Artichokes”

Cassidy @ Cassidy's Craveable Creations — June 19, 2014 @ 9:58 am Reply

I think this looks delicious and very flavorful :)

Stephanie — January 10, 2015 @ 3:58 pm Reply

So glad I found this recipe! I made a few substitutions but it still is delicious. I did not have sorghum so I used couscous instead. I used twice as many shrimp and a bit more broth and tomatoes. Couldn’t find frozen artichoke hearts but used canned and it worked fine. Threw the couscous in the last ten min with spinach and shrimp. yum! Thanks for sharing!

• 2.1

Cara — January 12, 2015 @ 12:40 pm

glad you enjoyed it and good call waiting to add the couscous till the end!

Angelic, — January 11, 2015 @ 8:09 am Reply

Big hit in my house!! I also couldn’t find sorghum, so I substituted it for arborico rice. Thanks for sharing!!

• 3.1

Cara — January 12, 2015 @ 12:40 pm

Glad you liked it, I’m sure it was delicious with arborio!

Florence — January 12, 2015 @ 9:36 pm Reply

That looks delicious! Try Wondergrain Sorghum. It’s the softest and best bite out there! :) they also have amazing recipes on their website where you can also

Jessika — January 18, 2015 @ 5:35 pm Reply

I live in Berkeley, California–the land of you-can-find-anything-unusual-and-healthy-here. I tried 4 natural foods stores and couldn’t find sorghum grain. Phew. I will try substituting one of those mentioned above–either Israeli couscous or arborio rice. Crossing fingers I don’t have to make any adjustments to recipe (other than maybe a late intro of the Israeli couscous)… :) Thanks for Wondergrain link, Florence. Saving for next time!

Leah — January 18, 2015 @ 7:40 pm Reply

I found Sorghum at Whole Foods.I followed the recipe exactly but the sorghum was hard as a rock when we took a bite. I think next time I will cook it first. Otherwise it was delicious!

• 6.1

Cara — January 19, 2015 @ 1:29 pm

Sorry that happened! All I can guess is maybe our slow cookers run very differently?

Tracee Yablon Brenner — January 19, 2015 @ 8:38 am Reply

Hi Cara,
    Your Sorghum Risotto dish looks delicious.
    I am a registered dietitian nutritionist, I consult for the company called Wondergrain. It’s a fairly new company and the variety of the sorghum is soft, they have a pearled sorghum which cooks in 35 minutes or less and a whole grain sorghum which cooks in 45-55 minutes and has 5g of fiber & 5g of protein per serving. We would love to send you samples. Please send me your address.

Patrice — January 19, 2015 @ 7:12 pm Reply

I too, could not find sorghum and, used arborio. What a fabulous blend of flavors- thank you for posting this recipe! I can’t wait to take some leftover for lunch

• 8.1

Cara — January 19, 2015 @ 7:21 pm

glad you liked it!

Demi — January 26, 2015 @ 2:58 pm Reply

Any tips on getting sorghum to not taste like undercooked rice? Everytime I cook sorghum it’s always the same.

Jodi — February 3, 2015 @ 6:08 pm Reply

Are you using raw shrimp or cooked? Does anyone have experience with this?

• 10.1

Cara — February 4, 2015 @ 1:23 pm

this recipe uses uncooked shrimp. It cooks in the hot sorghum mixture at the end of the recipe. Thank you for asking – I will edit to clarify!

Cheryl — February 20, 2015 @ 8:55 am Reply

I’m trying this today. It sounds wonderful. I was doing NutiSystem for some time, but now like to make my own meals fresh and then freeze them in individual serving sizes. Do you know if this recipe freezes well? Also, you said it yields 4 servings, but how large is each serving? Thanks so much!!

• 11.1

Cara — February 23, 2015 @ 2:20 pm

Hi Cheryl, I would say each serving is about 1.5-2 cups. I have not tried freezing this – let me know how it works out!

Florence — February 25, 2015 @ 10:04 am Reply

I tried to freeze it with Wondergrain’s pearled sorghum and it was amazing! Truly the softest bite Sorghum out there. You can buy it in a few stores or their website