Chickpea Flour Pizza Crust

grilled eggplant pizza, chickpea flour pizza crust, socca

This is a post I’ve owed you for a really long time. “You” who became smitten with the idea of a chickpea flour pizza crust, first topped with dates, olives and feta and a few weeks later with shawarma and chopped salad.

Which I easily imagine to be all of you (even if you’re new here and have no idea which recipes I’m talking about) because, uh, what’s not to love? Chickpea flour is more nutritious than white flour, and has awesome flavor that works surprisingly well with my favorite toppings, and makes a super simple gluten-free pizza crust.

chickpea flour pizza, mediterranean pizza, shawarma pizza

But I especially owe it to “you” who tried the chickpea flour pizza crust and failed. It happens to the best of us. We put out a recipe that we really love and then for various reasons, some obvious and some unknown, it just doesn’t work for other people. Oh, how I wish I could be a fly on “your” wall.

So the thing about the chickpea flour pizza dough is that it was actually nothing like “dough.” I found the mixture to be pretty wet, but still able to be formed when gently rolled between two sheets of parchment paper, and I clarified this to a few people who asked. (I suppose I didn’t go into enough detail in the original post.)  But I can’t forget the day when Ben and I were driving along the gorgeous Columbia River gorge and instead of taking in every bit of beautiful scenery, I was frantically google-chatting with Branny, whose pizza crust was in the process of looking more like pancake batter. I assured her it wasn’t supposed to be that wet, from my own experience. B remedied the situation by adding more flour, but I still wanted to get to the root of the problem. The only difference I could guess was the source of our chickpea flour. On a mission to see if it truly made a difference, I sent her a bag from my local Mediterranean market and asked her to try again. Strangely, that seemed to do the trick. Natalie had a similar experience to Branny. I’m lucky these gals are still my friends!

psyllium husk, pizza, chickpea flour, socca

While I can’t possibly know why some brands of chickpea flour work differently than others, I still wanted to “fix” my recipe because, to be honest, I really did want a roll-able dough. Not a wet sticky mass. After a few rounds of experimenting with psyllium husk powder, I’m excited to say we’re there. Psyllium husk works as a natural gluten-free binder. I suspect that no matter your source of chickpea flour, this addition will make a drastic difference – try it and let me know how it goes!

It might not roll out quite as beautifully as regular pizza dough but you can be OCD like me and trim it to fit your plan, whether that’s 1 biggie pizza or a few small ones. (See? We’ve done both. We really love this crust!)

grilled eggplant pizza, chickpea flour pizza, chickpea crust, socca, gluten free pizza dough

It appears we really like our pizza with grilled eggplant lately, but that’s not all. You’d be surprised at how versatile this crust is – and so much tastier than plain ol’ flour. So now that I’m no longer keeping my favorite new-and-improved pizza crust a secret from you, are ready to give it a second (or first) try? Please tell me yes :)

PrintPrint SaveSave

Chickpea Flour Pizza Crust

Yield: 1 large pizza (8 slices)

Ingredients:

1 envelope active dry yeast
1 teaspoon coconut sugar or other granular sugar (white sugar, succanat, etc.)
1 cup warm water
1 1/2 cups (180gm) chickpea flour, plus additional 2-3 tablespoons as needed*
4 tablespoons psyllium husk powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

*Some chickpea flour may absorb more liquid than others. I tested this recipe with two kinds, one from my local Mediterranean market and the other Bob's Red Mill, and found that the latter required a little extra flour.

Directions:

Place yeast and coconut sugar in small bowl. Pour in the warm water and whisk to dissolve. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until foamy.

Combine chickpea flour, psyllium husk powder and salt in a medium bowl and whisk together. Add the yeast mixture and stir to combine. Turn onto the counter and gently kneed for a few minutes. If needed, moisten hands to help the dough stick together. Alternatively, add 1-2 tablespoons additional flour if the dough is sticky. It will not be "elastic" like wheat pizza dough, but it will come together in a slightly rough ball. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 500ºF or turn on grill to medium-high heat.

Cut a large square of parchment paper and place the dough on top. Gently roll to about 1/8" thick. (My dough was not very sticky and I was able to transfer it to my countertop, and this made it easier to roll nice and thin.) Treat this dough more like a pastry crust than a normal pizza dough; that is, you can trim the edges and use these pieces to patch any tears by moistening and rolling them together.

Transfer dough to a pizza pan or baking sheet. Add desired toppings. Bake in preheated oven or grill for 10-15 minutes, or until browned and crisp.

Nutrition Facts:

Calories 106.9
Total Fat 0.0 g
Saturated Fat 1.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0 g
Cholesterol 0.0 mg
Sodium 156.2 mg
Potassium 69.7 mg
Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 4.5 g

Cara Lyons, www.carascravings.com

This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays for 7/3.

24 Responses to “Chickpea Flour Pizza Crust”

branny — June 22, 2012 @ 7:07 am Reply

if I had known you were doing something so beautiful, I would have never g chatted with you. thanks for your dedication :-) and thanks for the chickpea flour.

Janae Wise @ Bring-Joy — June 22, 2012 @ 8:31 am Reply

Yay! A beautiful gluten-free crust! Thanks for going into great detail about your experience trouble shooting the recipe. Funny how different brands of chickpea flour would yield different results.
    Question for you though, do you ever mill your own chickpea flour? I mill all of my other gluten-free flours in my Blendtec, but I”ve never actually used or made chickpea flour before. I imagine the flavor is rich & a perfect compliment to a sundried tomato & kalmata olive pizza.
    (You mentioned the Columbia River Gorge, do you live in Washington or Oregon? I’m from Washington & am pretty partial to it’s natural beauty.)

• 2.1

Cara — June 22, 2012 @ 8:36 am

Thanks, Janae! I have never milled my own flours, I just buy the Bob’s Red Mill chickpea flour or get it from my local Mediterranean market. It is a wonderful flour to work with!
      I am from Massachusetts, quite the opposite. I’m jealous, you come from a beautiful part of the country :)

janet @ the taste space — June 22, 2012 @ 8:38 am Reply

I had bookmarked the crust but hadn’t made it yet… gah, now to find psyllium! I am trying to whittle down my pantry not keep expanding it. ;)

Johanna GGG — June 22, 2012 @ 10:02 am Reply

this looks amazing – and I keep meaning to try psyllium husks that I was given – as I love chickpea flour – this seems a perfect one to try.

I have found that chickpea flour is not always the same and find it a mystery too

• 4.1

Cara — June 22, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

Thanks! I hope it makes good use of your psyllium husk :)

Kate — June 22, 2012 @ 5:22 pm Reply

I probably should give this a whirl since pizza has become a weekly staple on the menu,

Gretchen @gfedge — June 22, 2012 @ 7:18 pm Reply

This sounds good; and simple too. My next pizza will be usng this crust. I like the ground psyllium husk as a binder – it provides elasticity similar to that of gluten. Do you grind your own psyllium husks or purchase it ground?

• 6.1

Cara — June 22, 2012 @ 7:37 pm

I purchase it already ground. I have also seen plenty of bloggers use it in whole seed form in recipes, so that might work too (though I haven’t tried it!)

Emily @ A Cambridge Story — June 23, 2012 @ 6:54 pm Reply

These pizzas are gorgeous — I love cooking with chickpea flour!

Dawn — June 24, 2012 @ 9:42 am Reply

Yay! I have been waiting for this. I need to get some chickpea flour. Darn it – I was just at Native Sun yesterday.

Riley — June 24, 2012 @ 10:48 am Reply

This looks interesting (in a good way.) :) I’ll have to give it a try soon!

Joanne — June 24, 2012 @ 3:44 pm Reply

There’s nothing more frustrating to me than not knowing why a recipe works for me but not others,…maybe it has something to do with the protein content in various flours? Weird, if it really is just ground chickpeas! But I’m glad you found a solution. Your pizzas look AWESOME.

Coco — June 25, 2012 @ 10:55 am Reply

I don’t think I will ever make this myself, but I LOVE the gluten-freechickpea crust that Rustico serves (in Alexandria, Va), so I bet this would be terriffic!

grace — June 25, 2012 @ 1:40 pm Reply

sounds like a tasty crust, cara, and if there’s one thing that’s fun to experiment with, it’s pizza!

Ericka @ The Sweet Life — June 25, 2012 @ 3:31 pm Reply

Yes, I am a little terrified of trying this crust but I’d like to! If I decide to make it, I’ll be straight back here going through your directions one by one. Way to be creative…very cool.

elly — July 2, 2012 @ 10:17 am Reply

I bough chickpea flour a while back when you posted the shawarma pizza, but I STILL haven’t made it. Looks like maybe it was a good thing I waited, so now I can try this version. :)

15. Pingback: Salami pizza with chickpea flour crust «

Jenn @LeftoverQueen — July 5, 2012 @ 2:14 pm Reply

This looks delicious Cara!

• 15.1

Cara — July 5, 2012 @ 8:08 pm

Thanks! My husband keeps requesting it again… :)

Julie — December 8, 2012 @ 8:23 pm Reply

this recipe is not good. How do you get it to not stick to the pan? at 500 for 10 ,it burnt on the bottom and was under cooked in the middle.

• 16.1

Cara — December 8, 2012 @ 8:55 pm

Sorry it didn’t work for you, I have made it multiple times this exact way and it always works for me. It should not stick because of the parchment paper.

Mika — April 27, 2014 @ 7:52 pm Reply

This is delicious!! Even without any yeast! :) thanks!!!

• 17.1

Cara — April 27, 2014 @ 8:06 pm

Thank you, so glad you liked it!