Picadillo Stuffed Matzoh Balls

On the surface, I might not seem like a very competitive person. In fact, I didn’t realize I was competitive until I grew up. As a kid (and still) I eschewed any and all kinds of groups sports. There was no sense in me trying to kick a ball the farthest, make the most baskets, or run the bases the fastest, because truth be told, I would only win if the point was to fail.

In the classroom it was a different story. It was always a given that I was at the top, but it came so naturally to me that I never felt like I was trying to compete. In college, people started to catch up. Or maybe I was just in a smaller group of my own league. In fact, it was the first time where I really felt I had to work to stand out – or at least not fall behind. But still, I didn’t feel like I was competing with others so much as with myself, battling to keep up with the reputation I had created.

I’ll stop bragging now and just say that I feel much of that self-competitive nature carrying over into my cooking and blogging. I know I’ll never be the most original cook or the best photographer or the wittiest writer, but as long as what I’m doing is better than what I did before, I’m feeling pretty good.

Those familiar with Passover know the four questions, and this year I asked myself a fifth: What can I do with matzoh balls that I’ve never done before? Honestly, the doors were wide open. I’ve never made anything but plain ol’ matzoh balls in chicken soup. No one around here is complaining about that, but I knew I could do more. And so in my quest to do something fun and unusual this Passover, I decided to stuff my matzoh balls. Even more crazy, I decided that they didn’t need any soup. In addition to being competitive, I’m also pretty weird. I’m sure that’s what my parents and brothers would say if I told them I was taking the balls out of the soup and stuffing them.

Apparently it wasn’t an entirely original idea (thank you very much, Google.) But you know what was? Picadillo stuffed matzoh balls. Yep, I’m pretty sure no one else has done that. And if they have, it’s not on the internet so it doesn’t count.

Kidding.

Sorta.

So why the heck would you take a perfectly good matzoh ball and stuff it with a Cuban-spiced meat mixture laced with briney olves and sweet raisins? Simple. It’s good! I’ll admit to a little suspicion about whether this would actually work and briefly considered the need for a back-up dinner plan, but couldn’t be bothered. I guess I’d rather starve than think about what I’d do if I failed. In the end, though, no one was left hungry. This whole idea for picadillo stuffed matzoh balls (really, who does that?) worked really well. They were easier to assemble than I figured, and did not burst open while simmering like I imagined. Besides being stuffed, there’s another big difference between these matzoh balls and the ones you’re used to: they’re baked! I know, I know. Some of you may have a hard time wrapping your heads around the idea of a baked matzoh ball. But trust me here. The baked matzoh balls turn out rich and dense, almost dough-like, a perfect envelope for the sweet and spicy filling. We served these with some (jarred) sofrito sauce for a light dinner, but they’d also make a really fun first course for your holiday meal. I just might do that myself – just to see if anyone really misses the soup.

Picadillo Stuffed Matzoh Balls
Printable Recipe

Picadillo, Eating Well
The ingredient amounts below represent half of the original recipe. You will use about 1/4 of this to stuff the matzoh balls.

1 pound lean ground turkey breast
pinch teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup chopped pitted green olives
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup water
freshly ground pepper

Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the ground turkey, breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Reduce the meat to medium and add the olive oil. Cook the onions, scallions and garlic for about 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add the chili powder, oregano, cumin, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper; cook for one minute more, until fragrant.

Return the turkey to the pan along with the raisins, olives, tomato paste, and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until thickened. Season to taste with the ground pepper, and set aside to cool. The filling can be made a day or two before you plan to assemble the matzoh balls.

Matzoh Balls

3 eggs
3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
3 tablespoons chicken broth
3/4 cup matzoh meal
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
freshly ground pepper
cinnamon, for dusting

Whisk together the eggs, oil, and chicken broth. Stir in the matzoh meal, salt, and pepper. Set the mixture in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Assembly

Line a plate or baking sheet with a piece of plastic wrap, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Scoop the matzoh ball mixture into 12 equal portions. Wet your hands and take one portion. Flatten it slightly and press in a small indentation. Place one teaspoon of the picadillo into the indentation, then carefully roll the matzoh ball mixture around the filling. Set aside on the plastic-lined sheet. Repeat with remaining matzoh balls, wetting hands between each one.

The stuffed matzoh balls may be covered and refrigerated overnight.

Preheat oven to 400ºF. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the matzoh balls to the boiling water. Cover the pot and cook for 20-25 minutes. The matzoh balls will increase in size.

Spray a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Remove matzoh balls from the water with a slotted spoon and place in the dish. Spray matzoh balls with a little more coking spray, and sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned.

These reheat well, so you can bake them a day ahead of time and place them back in the oven to warm before serving.

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 12
Calories: 92.8
Total Fat: 5.1 g
Cholesterol: 48.2 mg
Sodium: 52.3 mg
Total Carbs: 8.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.4 g
Protein: 3.6 g

Don’t forget about
Bloggers Bake for Hope!
Bloggers Bake. You Bid. 100% of proceeds benefit
Susan G. Komen for the Cure.

30 Responses to “Picadillo Stuffed Matzoh Balls”

Kelsey — April 15, 2011 @ 4:48 am Reply

Delicious, Cara! I love picadillo. It's traditionally served over white rice, but I prefer it over brown rice, couscous, or even quinoa. What a great idea to heighten the anticipation for already craveworthy Passover eats!

Kaylor Jane — April 15, 2011 @ 5:40 am Reply

Love it btw, bird nest is made up of about 58% soluable proteins…the highest amoung all food and even synetic protein powders it greatly increase tissue regeneration sources taken from the internethttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_nest_souphttp://hongkong-bird-nest.50webs.com/index_e.htmhttp://www.euyansang.com/

janet — April 15, 2011 @ 10:18 am Reply

We all win when you push the boundaries in the kitchen.. I just wish I could come over to sample your food, too! :)

Renee {Eat.Live.Blog} — April 15, 2011 @ 10:28 am Reply

Wholly cow! You made Jewish Papa Rellenos!!! I LOVE this more than you will ever know…maybe even more than your mini chocolate-dip merengues!

branny — April 15, 2011 @ 11:26 am Reply

I really need to buy some matzoh meal and experiment with this stuff.

Cara — April 15, 2011 @ 11:27 am Reply

aww, thanks Renee! Let me know if you try them :)

Cara — April 15, 2011 @ 11:28 am Reply

I wish you were nearby too! I'd love to taste your food in return :)

Cara — April 15, 2011 @ 11:29 am Reply

too funny, I never thought I'd inspire someone not celebrating Passover towant to buy matzoh meal ;) But, matzoh balls are pretty worth it!

Melissa — April 15, 2011 @ 1:36 pm Reply

Very creative! I've never had or thought to make a stuffed matzah ball but I'm loving this idea. It reminds me of arancini – which could be another fun filling (spinach and cheese) I can relate to your competitiveness story too – never in sports but always in the classroom and wowing people with cooking is such a pleasure! I'll be telling the fam about this one.

Lora — April 15, 2011 @ 2:20 pm Reply

I love your fifth question. It's perfect. These stuffed matzoh balls look fantastic. How inventive!

Prevention RD — April 15, 2011 @ 2:42 pm Reply

So creative! I feel a bit shafted as I've never had a matzoh ball, much less a stuffed and baked one! They look amazing, Cara!

Kaytorade — April 15, 2011 @ 3:28 pm Reply

Cara, this is brilliant. Although I'm not surprised you would come up with such a marvelous passover idea.

Joanne — April 15, 2011 @ 4:53 pm Reply

Haha I am SUPER competitive by nature as well…hence the med school, and the blog, and the racing…but I couldn't even begin to compete with these matzoh balls. They sound almost like Italian rice balls…which means they're absolutely delicious.

Jennifurla — April 15, 2011 @ 5:36 pm Reply

This looks all sorts of wonderful, you are the orginal creator! hahaha

megi — April 15, 2011 @ 9:27 pm Reply

These look and sound great, I am planning on trying them sometime next week. Thank you for sharing!

Cara — April 15, 2011 @ 9:49 pm Reply

Thank you Megi! I'm glad to have discovered your blog now – so much delicious sounding food!

Kerstin — April 16, 2011 @ 2:00 am Reply

What a fabulous idea!! I'm pretty competitive too, but mostly with myself as well :)

Miriam Kresh — April 16, 2011 @ 6:27 pm Reply

Interesting…sort of a hybrid empanada de carne and the old-fashioned matzah ball stuffed with gribines. Those picadillo matzah balls look really good!

Chrysta — April 16, 2011 @ 11:48 pm Reply

mmMMM….what great flavor combos! I love sweet and salty and the combo of raisins and olives is fantastic. It totally reminds me of a traditional chili relleno. sssooo good. I really gotta get on this matzoh meal asap! I hope you are having one fantastic weekend so far!!

Jey — April 18, 2011 @ 2:05 am Reply

Cara, I LOVE this idea!! And here I thought I was being all creative in the Passover kitchen by making curried matzo ball soup. Can't wait to try this!

Cara — April 18, 2011 @ 2:09 am Reply

Are you kidding? Curried matzoh ball soup is a fantastic idea! I need tocheck this one out…

Dawn Hutchins — April 18, 2011 @ 2:05 pm Reply

The great thing about blogging is you have record of your process and just how far you have come! I have enjoyed being with you every step of the way from when I discovered the fabulous blogging world. Your recipes have been some of my favorites because of the flavor combinations and the fact that we have very similar taste!

Inna — April 18, 2011 @ 2:33 pm Reply

Wow, these look so good! Definitely not your typical Matzoh Balls! Can't wait to try this out. Happy (almost) Passover!

grace — April 19, 2011 @ 10:24 pm Reply

booyah! we're cut from the same cloth, cara–i'm super duper competitive myself, both in the classroom and in the arena. heck, i race people with my grocery cart. :)you've created something really clever and tasty here. bravo.

Shannon — April 20, 2011 @ 2:43 pm Reply

hehe, these do sound pretty genious :) happy passover!

Elina (Healthy and Sane) — April 20, 2011 @ 9:02 pm Reply

I can't believe I'm admitting this, but I've never even had matzo balls!! These stuffed ones looks fantastic. I don't keep kosher (even passover kosher anymore) so these may just be added to the menu next week. Why not! ;)

Surf Diva — March 29, 2012 @ 8:32 pm Reply

I’m going to try substituting the turkey and broth for vegetarian substitutes. If it works, we might have a winner for Pesach!

• 27.1

Cara — March 29, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

sounds great – hope it works for you! Chag Sameach :)

28. Pingback: In Honor Of Passover, Here Are The Most Delicious Things You Can Do With Matzo (Photos)

29. Pingback: 10 Scrumptious Passover Recipes to Help You Survive Without Bread | Bringing the best news to the People