Brekkie Spaghetti (Squash!)

Some of you might hate me for what I’m about to say, but I’ll say it anyways. I am a morning person. And by that I don’t mean that I wake up early enough to beat the sunrise every day, chipper and motivated enough to run a marathon and clean my house top to bottom. But, I am a morning person because I can honestly say I go to bed each night excited for what the next day will bring. Especially, breakfast. Will it be sweet or savory? Hot or cold? What’s in the kitchen that I can use up? Yes, this is usually what I’m thinking about as sleep takes over every night.

So what about this breakfast? It’s sweet and savory. Hot and cold. And ironically, even though I had eaten spaghetti squash for dinner that night, I was already craving more and couldn’t wait to have some for breakfast. And why not? You need to eat more veggies anyway, and breakfast is a great time to do that. Paired with some good proteins, it’s a breakfast of champions.

Brekkie Spaghetti Squash

1 cup (155gm) cooked spaghetti squash
1/4 cup marinara sauce*
1 egg
3 oz low fat cottage cheese

Heat spaghetti squash and sauce in a microwavable bowl. Meanwhile, heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and when hot, crack the egg into it and cook to your liking. Top the spaghetti squash with the egg and cottage cheese. Eat up!

*When choosing a jarred spaghetti sauce, make sure to read ingredients and nutritional information. Do yourself a favor and pick one with only ingredients you can read and would actually put in the sauce if you were making it yourself.

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 1
Calories: 213.9
Total Fat: 7.8 g
Cholesterol: 223.8 mg
Sodium: 550.9 mg
Total Carbs: 20.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.2 g
Protein: 16.5 g

21 Responses to “Brekkie Spaghetti (Squash!)”

Cate — October 31, 2010 @ 2:15 pm Reply

I'm a total morning person! I have fallen in love with spaghetti squash this fall, so I'm excited to try this.

Jess — October 31, 2010 @ 2:33 pm Reply

I never think to have veggies in the morning with breakfast, but this morning I added tomato and peppers as a side! I'll have to add this dish to my breakfast repertoire as well!

Maris — October 31, 2010 @ 3:38 pm Reply

What an awesome idea! Love spaghetti squash.

dinnersanddreams.net — October 31, 2010 @ 4:06 pm Reply

Quite adventurous for a breakfast!

Joanne — October 31, 2010 @ 5:35 pm Reply

Haha I'm totally a morning person as well. Except I definitely do get up before the crack of dawn. I blame it on my Circadian rhythms. They are definitely off.This sounds like an awesome breakfast! I love spaghetti squash…it's totally craveable at any time of day.

delishliving.com — October 31, 2010 @ 6:02 pm Reply

I may not be a morning person, but I am definitely a breakfast person, and this sounds super intereting! Plus, I loved your comment on choosing a jarred pasta sauce – totally bang on!

carascravings — November 1, 2010 @ 3:01 am Reply

Yum!I am also a morning person. I wake up extra early just to have some time to myself in the morning where I can get ready for the day and enjoy a good cup of coffee.

Dawn — November 1, 2010 @ 6:11 pm Reply

You are a girl after my own heart. I'm a morning person too! I just love the cool air, hot coffee, paper and the whole day ahead of me!

Lizzy — November 1, 2010 @ 7:26 pm Reply

I'm a morning person and also go back and forth between savory and sweet breakfasts. What your sauce of choice?

Barbara — November 2, 2010 @ 11:24 am Reply

I'm such a bore at breakfast. Same thing every morning. I should try this and wake up my taste buds!

Shannon — November 2, 2010 @ 11:55 am Reply

ooh, love this idea! i'm usually more of a morning person, too, so long as i'm getting enough sleep :)

grace — November 2, 2010 @ 2:51 pm Reply

spaghetti squash is just fun. that's all there is to it. having it for breakfast is a bit odd, but i'm totally game–great dish!

Erin @ EKat's Kitchen — November 2, 2010 @ 3:29 pm Reply

I just found you at Dani Spies from your guest post and think that both that recipe and this recipe look amazing! I love spaghetti squash, and had never considered having it for breakfast before, but YUM!

Barbara Cameron — November 2, 2010 @ 5:55 pm Reply

I'm a morning person too. Like you, I look forward to waking up -except on the days I have to go to work. I look forward to woring on whatever project I've involved in; right now I'm into making APRONS. Aprons and cooking go together, right?Please visithttp://madebybarbaracameron.blogspot.com

Kerstin — November 3, 2010 @ 3:29 am Reply

I'm definitely not a morning person but I do love breakfast and always look forward to it, especially on the weekends! This is such a yummy healthy way to mix things up – love it.

iEatDC — November 12, 2010 @ 12:15 am Reply

We had leftover spaghetti squash with pesto and tomatoes from a dinner party. Inspired by you, breakfast was that dish, heated up, topped with a poached egg for each of us. I'd never poached an egg before, but it wasn't hard! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Melissa — March 27, 2011 @ 3:07 am Reply

just reading all of your spaghetti squash posts…this sounds absolutely delicious! can't wait to make at home!

Kerstin — April 5, 2011 @ 1:25 am Reply