Spaghetti Squash with Spinach, Raisins and Walnuts

Last weekend, I had my first visit to the eastern side of the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland, and if I didn’t know any better, I would have told you I was in Iowa. I’ve never been to Iowa, but driving through about 25 miles of nothing but corn fields dotted with the occasional church is just about how I picture it. I never knew Maryland was so full of farms!

The reason for our trip was to witness our good friends Matt and Natalie tie the knot. It was a beautiful wedding, and we had a great time hanging out with all of their friends and family. Besides the fun memories and crab & lobster-shaped cookie cutters, I took home a few of my own little souvenirs: some gorgeous winter squashes from a nearby farmers’ market. I know I can easily buy this stuff at home, but apparently I’m a sucker for home-grown, unique produce, so when I saw a the smooth, oval squash with bright orange flesh, I jumped at the chance to try something new. This was a spaghetti squash, certainly not new to me, but I couldn’t resist the beautiful, jewel-like color.

A few days later, I cooked it up with some spinach, raisins and walnuts. I was going to use pine nuts, but it turned out I had none, so the walnuts were a last minute switch. Either would be delicious. I topped it off with some feta, to contrast with the sweet onions and raisins. The hollowed-out squash shells made a festive serving dish!

Spaghetti Squash with Spinach, Raisins, Walnuts & Feta
Printable Recipe

Ingredients
1 large spaghetti squash, roasted, seeds discarded
1 tbsp olive oil
75 gm sliced sweet onion
1 10oz package fresh spinach, thick stems removed
30gm walnuts
40gm raisins
1oz feta cheese, crumbled
pinch of nutmeg, salt & pepper

Directions
Toast the walnuts in a dry skillet over low heat. Remove from heat when they are fragrant and just beginning to brown.

Meanwhile, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Cook the onions until soft and translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the spinach, cover, and let cook until the spinach is wilted down, about 5 minutes.

Use two forks to remove the stringy flesh from the cooked spaghetti squash. Toss this with the spinach and onions, and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the walnuts and raisins and heat through. Mix in about half of the crumbled feta, and top with the rest of the cheese to serve.
Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 2
Calories: 385.8
Total Fat: 21.1 g
Cholesterol: 12.6 mg
Sodium: 330.0 mg
Total Carbs: 46.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 9.9 g
Protein: 11.5 g

23 Responses to “Spaghetti Squash with Spinach, Raisins and Walnuts”

Kelsey — October 12, 2009 @ 4:42 pm Reply

This looks so great, Cara. I'm always looking for creative side dishes and I love all the ingredients in this one!

Sheetal & Rahul — October 12, 2009 @ 5:22 pm Reply

Cara,you have a wonderful blog. I love healthy food and so Iam also on the search for new healthy recipes.I stumbled here through Meghan's blog.Iam adding your blog to my blogroll so I can try your new recipes. Thanks for putting the nutrition information on the recipes.It means a lot to Insulin resistant people like me.

Aggie — October 12, 2009 @ 8:35 pm Reply

I get excited about things like that too…:)What an awesome way to eat spaghetti squash! I have an acorn squash sitting on my counter that I may do something similar with!

Kerstin — October 12, 2009 @ 11:24 pm Reply

Haha, it does sound like Iowa (my parents live there). I love that you brought produce home with you, that sounds like something I would do! And what a great use for it, your squash looks super tasty and filling!

Ash — October 13, 2009 @ 12:11 pm Reply

that looks amazing! as soon as my kitchen is unpacked, i'll be making this!

Susan (peebsmama) — October 26, 2009 @ 11:39 pm Reply

I'm always looking for dishes that are a little different and this certainly fits the bill! Even though I purchased a small squash, I still ended up with a lot of "spaghetti". I used only half of it with the reamining ingredients. I put the raisins in some water and put them in the microwave for a minute to plump them up. I also added a little garlic powder. And I used pine nuts. This was so delicious. I loved the contrast of the creamy, salty feta with the sweet raisins and crunchy nuts. My hubby, the carnivoire, raved about. I definitely will be making this again. TFS.

Susan (peebsmama) — October 26, 2009 @ 11:39 pm Reply

This post has been removed by the author.

bed frames — March 27, 2011 @ 3:07 am Reply

Cool recipe this is! I am definitely going to try this one. Looks perfect to me!

Susan (peebsmama) — March 28, 2011 @ 8:39 pm Reply

Ash — March 28, 2011 @ 8:39 pm Reply

that looks amazing! as soon as my kitchen is unpacked, i'll be making this!

Kerstin — March 28, 2011 @ 8:39 pm Reply

Aggie — March 28, 2011 @ 8:39 pm Reply

Sheetal & Rahul — March 28, 2011 @ 8:39 pm Reply

Kelsey — March 28, 2011 @ 8:40 pm Reply

bed frames — March 28, 2011 @ 8:40 pm Reply

bed frames — March 28, 2011 @ 8:40 pm Reply

Susan (peebsmama) — March 29, 2011 @ 2:04 am Reply

Kerstin — March 29, 2011 @ 2:04 am Reply

Kelsey — March 29, 2011 @ 2:04 am Reply

bed frame — April 4, 2011 @ 3:09 am Reply

This is one cool recipe you have here! I like the combination of the ingredients!

Ash — April 5, 2011 @ 1:14 am Reply

that looks amazing! as soon as my kitchen is unpacked, i'll be making this!

Sheetal & Rahul — April 5, 2011 @ 1:14 am Reply