The Best Ever Roasted Cauliflower

I spent a lot of years not knowing how much I love cauliflower, and I must say I regret that. But now that I know, I just can’t seemed to get enough. Pureed cauliflower with goat cheese has been a favorite of ours for quite some time now, but we’ve also been thrilled with spicy cauliflower soup and my “magical” cauli-rice. This week I had some leftover blue cheese and a whole head of cauliflower that I bought for a get together and didn’t end up needing. So I decided to combine the two. I thought about trying to make a cauliflower soup with blue cheese, which I’m sure would have been great, but in the end I decided to keep it simple by roasting the vegetable with balsamic vinegar and topping it with the cheese.

Let me just brag – this was fantastic. The combination of flavors was both unexpected and incredibly interesting. Cauliflower, when roasted, takes on a nutty aroma, and gets additional caramelization from the sweet balsamic vinegar. The tangy cheese brings a welcome contrast to the sweet and earthy flavors. I couldn’t get enough! I served this along with some simple grilled chicken – just olive oil and herbs de provence – because I really wanted to focus on the all the wonderful flavors in this simple vegetable side dish. I still have some cheese leftover, so I can’t wait to make this again next week!

Roasted Balsamic Cauliflower with Blue Cheese
1 head of fresh cauliflower, washed and chopped
about 1tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper
about 2tbsp balsamic vinegar
2oz crumbled blue cheese

Preheat oven to 400F. Toss cauliflower in olive oil and arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for about 18 minutes, then remove from oven. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, season with salt and pepper, and toss to distribute. Sprinkle with cheese and returns to oven for another 5-10 minutes. If desired, turn on broiler at the end to finish browning to your liking.

11 Responses to “The Best Ever Roasted Cauliflower”

Patsyk — February 18, 2009 @ 2:11 am Reply

Wow, that looks really good! Those flavors had to be perfect together. I love roasted cauliflower and may have to add soem bleu cheese to it next time.

Joelen — February 18, 2009 @ 2:25 am Reply

This sounds fantastic! Now you’ve given me a reason to buy a head of cauliflower!!

Mary Ellen — February 18, 2009 @ 2:50 am Reply

This sounds fantastic! I have made cauliflower several different ways, but never roasted. Definitely starring this recipe! Thanks for sharing it.

Colleen — February 18, 2009 @ 1:55 pm Reply

I’m always looking for new side dishes – and I love blue cheese! I will be trying this soon.

That Girl — February 18, 2009 @ 5:25 pm Reply

You’re so brave and adventurous with cauliflower

Lisa — February 19, 2009 @ 2:35 pm Reply

I love roasted cauliflower! I always roast it up with olive oil, cloves of garlic, salt and pepper. Then when it comes out I sprinkle it with lemon juice and freshly chopped parsley or basil. So good and light! I love the blue cheese addition! I’m going to have to give that a shot.

bakinandeggs — March 3, 2009 @ 3:45 pm Reply

We haven’t had cauliflower in a while because I run out of ideas on what to do with it. This looks great – I must try!

Susan (peebsmama) — November 7, 2009 @ 12:27 am Reply

Both hubby and I loved this combination of balsamic and blue cheese with the cauliflower. Such a tasty alternative to steamed or mashed.

Susan (peebsmama) — April 5, 2011 @ 1:15 am Reply

That Girl — April 5, 2011 @ 1:15 am Reply

You're so brave and adventurous with cauliflower

11. Pingback: Veggie Grill: Seriously Craveable Vegan Food «