Crockpot Mongolian Beef

In my effort to use my crock pot more often, I have found one blog in particular to be a great resource. Stephanie, the author of A Year of Crockpotting, challenged herself to something I don’t think I could ever accomplish – to use her crock pot(s), every day for an entire year. My first thought was, I would get totally sick of pot roast, pulled meat, beef stew, and anything involving condensed cream of chicken or mushroom soup. But the truth is, Stephanie shows us that there is so much more that can be done with a crock pot. Meals that are healthy and involve natural, flavorful ingredients seem to be her specialty. I am quite amazed at all that she has come up with, and the year is not yet over!

I found this recipe for Crockpot Mongolian Beef while perusing Stephanie’s blog for Asian-inspired recipes. It called for flank steak, and it just so happened that I had a piece in my freezer, so this was perfect. I scaled back the ingredient amounts just a bit since my meat was just 1lb, and I again used my ceramic casserole inside the crock pot to prevent the meal from overcooking. Stephanie warned that this meal cooks fast, and since I needed it to last at least 11 hours in the crock pot, I added extra liquid (beef broth), enough to keep the meat covered.

We enjoyed this meal, though I’d say my husband was more wowed than me. It would be great with rice to soak up all the extra sauce, but my calorie budget did not allow, so we had steamed broccoli instead. By the way, though flank steak is a lean meat, this dish does produce quite a bit of fat on the top, which I spooned off before serving. But, overall, I was definitely happy with this meal. The meat was tender, the sauce was flavorful (though I did add a little hot chili sauce before serving, to give a little extra spice), and it was different from anything else I have cooked in the crock pot.

Here is the recipe, with my slight modifications.

Crockpot Mongolian Beef, Adapted from A Year of Crockpotting
1lb flank steak, sliced thin against the grain
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 green onions
1 small onion, diced
1/4 cup light soy sauce
1/4 cup beef broth, plus extra to cover the meat
2 tbsp sherry
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp molasses
1/2 tsp ground ginger
freshly ground black pepper
a pinch of red chili pepper flakes
1 tsp peanut butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch (to dredge meat–don’t add to sauce mixture)

Chop 2 of the green onions, and place in the slow cooker along with the diced onion.

Toss the meat in a bag with the cornstarch to coat. Place the meat in your slow cooker, over the onions.

Combine remaining ingredients (I used a blender to combine them quickly and thoroughly) and pour over the meat and onions, stir gently. Add enough beef broth to cover the meat. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.

12 Responses to “Crockpot Mongolian Beef”

That Girl — October 31, 2008 @ 2:35 am Reply

I am really excited to try this!

Aggie — November 1, 2008 @ 1:30 am Reply

What a great review of this recipe…I’ll have to try it. I’m always looking for healthy crockpot meals. Thanks for sharing!

Kevin — November 4, 2008 @ 2:16 am Reply

This sounds really tasty!

rose — November 18, 2008 @ 2:14 am Reply

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. Sarahhttp://www.thetreadmillguide.com

Susan (peebsmama) — December 20, 2009 @ 1:35 pm Reply

I really like to use my crockpot. It's so terrific knowing I have a hot and healthy meal waiting for me when I get home from a long day of work. And I'm always interested in finding new and different recipes to use in my crockpot. This was certainly something I haven't tried before.I had to substitute stew beef for the flank steak since my grocery store didn't carry that. I cut the meat into smaller pieces. Otherwise I followed this recipe as written. When we were ready to eat (I cooked this 10 hours and it was fine) I added a tbl of hoison sauce just to zip up the flavor a bit. I served it over brown rice with some scallions and sauted mushrooms on top and a side of steamed broccoli. Really good. Definitely will make this again.Thanks for the tip about the cassarole dish inside the crock pot. I didn't do that this time but might consider it for a future dish. Thanks also for the link to the Crockpot Blog. So many more great ideas there.

Gwyn — February 11, 2010 @ 5:25 am Reply

I made this tonight! i didn't do the casserole dish – I've never had problems burning things in my crockpot & was only cooking it for 6 hours. I made it exactly as you said (I used the entire can of beef stock) & had enough sauce left over for another flank steak – so i might double that next time. Served it with brown rice & steamed broccoli – was delicious! thanks for a healthy, yummy crockpot meal!

kmk — February 26, 2010 @ 4:22 am Reply

I would never have believed this was cooked in a crockpot. Makes me look at my dusty, neglected crockpot in a new light :D

Cara — March 27, 2011 @ 3:07 am Reply

Hello Courtney, thanks so much for your kind words, they mean so much to me! As you have probably noticed, I was not making a habit of including nutritional information in my first couple years of blogging. I am so glad you commented on this recipe because I haven't made it in a long time, and re-reading it, I think I can make some improvements. So I am going to one-up you request and make this again next week and hopefully turn out something I'm really excited to share – with nutritional information. In the meantime, if you really need it, you can do what I do and use sparkrecipes.com to calculate the nutritional information for any recipe you find or create. Hope this helps!

Courtney — March 27, 2011 @ 3:07 am Reply

Cara, I'm wondering if you can give us the nutrition data for this recipe? I just discovered your site last fall and I think I could spend a year just trying your recipes! I've tried and loved several things including the poblanos stuffed with pumpkin polenta. It was a fantastic combination of flavors! Keep up the delicious work! Thanks

kmk — April 5, 2011 @ 1:13 am Reply

Susan (peebsmama) — April 5, 2011 @ 1:13 am Reply

Aggie — April 5, 2011 @ 1:13 am Reply

What a great review of this recipe…I'll have to try it. I'm always looking for healthy crockpot meals. Thanks for sharing!