Low-fat Apple Dumplings

What’s fall without yummy apple desserts? Especially when you pick the apples yourself? I remember as a child indulging in a delicious apple dumpling at the farm we visited to pick our apples every year. The orchard we went to this weekend did not have dumplings, so I wanted to make some of my own – healthier, of course! I decided to use phyllo dough, with butter-flavored-nonstick cooking spray in place of the traditional melted butter between the flaky layers. This works just fine – if you don’t believe me, try it! To keep the calories to a minimum, I also used sugar substitute in place of the real thing. But the result? Husband-approved and very delicious!

1 large apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1/4 cup granulated sugar substitute
1/2 tsp cinnamon
4 sheets phyllo dough

butter flavored nonstick cooking spray

Preheat oven to 400F. Toss apple slices with sugar and cinnamon and let sit for 5-10 minutes. Carefully lay out one phyllo sheet, and spray lightly with cooking spray. Layer another sheet over, and spray again lightly, repeat with the 3rd and 4th sheet so that you have a stack of 4 sheets.

Cut the stack in half so you have two rectangles, about 9″x7″ each. Place these on a baking sheet lightly coated with cooking spray. Divide the apple filling among the two phyllo stacks. Bring opposite corners together and pinch to seal; spray once more with cooking spray. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with additional sugar substitute and cinnamon, if desired.
Makes 2 apple dumplings. Per serving: 135 calories, 1 gm fat, 31 gm carbohydrate, 1.8 gm protein.

7 Responses to “Low-fat Apple Dumplings”

Patsyk — September 22, 2008 @ 1:34 am Reply

Wow! Those look amazing! I’m marking them to try, since I’d love to make something so yummy but also lower-fat!

Robin — September 22, 2008 @ 2:16 am Reply

Great idea! I have to try this, they look delicious!

That Girl — September 23, 2008 @ 1:17 am Reply

I love apples with phyllo dough – but you’re missing the necessary caramel!

LYNN — September 24, 2008 @ 10:19 pm Reply

This is how I make my dumplings and turnovers, phyllo dough and non-stick spray, it works well! Yum! I went apple picking and can’t wait to make some goodies…if only I had as much ambition as you!

Amy — September 30, 2008 @ 4:17 pm Reply

Thanks for sharing this idea! My FI and I just started to lose weight and this looks like a great fall dessert idea for us!I nominated you for the E is for excellent blog award on my blog, by the way!

Grace — October 3, 2008 @ 9:08 am Reply

god bless the creator of phyllo dough! this is an elegant yet totally doable treat, and i appreciate that you’ve lightened it up some. unfortunately, i’d probably cancel all that with a mega scoop of vanilla ice cream. :)

Amy — April 5, 2011 @ 1:13 am Reply