Green Beans on the Grill

Certain vegetables seem to make their home on the grill during the summer. Eggplant, peppers, zucchini, summer squash… green beans? In my experience green beans are not a typical summer grilling vegetable, but I think they should be. Like all of our other summer favorites, green beans get a nice smoky flavor only attributed to the grill when cooked in foil packets with your favorite seasonings. Of course, this is a no brainer when you’re already using the grill for your main dish. Why dirty a pan when you don’t have to? For this variation, I tossed the green beans with olive oil spray, added some thinly sliced onion and minced garlic, salt, pepper and lemon zest. When finished, I added some fresh lemon thyme, though parsley and oregano would work well too. For best results, I recommend using no more than a half pound of fresh green beans per foil packet, and cooking over high heat 15 (cooked through, but still crisp) – 25 (much more tender and charred) minutes.
And if you’re wondering what else is there in the background, that’s just some turkey breast tenderloin, cut up and basted with Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce and grilled to perfection. Such an easy dinner, even my husband could do it! ;)

13 Responses to “Green Beans on the Grill”

Joelen — July 18, 2008 @ 3:05 am Reply

Grilled beans sounds wonderful with your turkey tenderloins! I’ve parboiled/blanched beans before grilling to take away some of the “raw” taste but I’m going to have to try the foil packet approach since its so much easier!

That Girl — July 18, 2008 @ 4:41 am Reply

green beans are the one vegetable I never think of grilling!

That Girl — March 28, 2011 @ 8:54 pm Reply

green beans are the one vegetable I never think of grilling!

That Girl — March 28, 2011 @ 8:54 pm Reply

green beans are the one vegetable I never think of grilling!

Joelen — March 28, 2011 @ 8:54 pm Reply

Grilled beans sounds wonderful with your turkey tenderloins! I've parboiled/blanched beans before grilling to take away some of the "raw" taste but I'm going to have to try the foil packet approach since its so much easier!

Joelen — March 28, 2011 @ 8:54 pm Reply

That Girl — March 29, 2011 @ 2:05 am Reply

green beans are the one vegetable I never think of grilling!

Joelen — April 5, 2011 @ 1:18 am Reply

That Girl — April 5, 2011 @ 1:18 am Reply

green beans are the one vegetable I never think of grilling!

Tman — July 4, 2011 @ 5:35 am Reply

I was looking for a way to cook green beans on the grill and found this one, I am going to try this.  I thought about it the last time I grilled when we didn't have any veggie besides corn.  Thanks!

Cara — July 4, 2011 @ 7:16 am Reply

hope you like them! Grilled veggies are the best :)

Garci895a — August 10, 2011 @ 1:13 am Reply

Your recipe was just what I was looking for this evening. I had some fresh beans, a tomato, a zucchini and an onion. I was grilling a flank steak and this was the perfect way to turn the side dish into something more. I added a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar and some fresh oregano from the garden. It cooked at about 600 for 10 minutes with 3 flips. The veggies were perfect. Even the zucchini was still crisp.

Cara — August 10, 2011 @ 1:16 am Reply

Thank you so much for sharing! Glad you liked it :)