More on Squash and Pasta

By now, I think most of us know about spaghetti squash: the wonderful winter squash that cooks up into a mild, stringy flesh – it’s a great noodle substitution for those looking to lower their carb or calorie intake. But other vegetables make a good base for enjoying our favorite pasta-like dishes? Lindsay gave me the idea of using zucchini to make “noodles”. We really love zucchini and I wanted a quick dinner involving ground turkey, so I decided to make zucchini noodles with a quick turkey meat sauce. It was really quite easy, and very satisfying and tasty!

To prepare the zucchini, I used the slicing attachment on my food processor to thinly slice lengths of zucchini. Alternately, you could use a vegetable peeler. I cooked them over high heat in a nonstick wok with a bit of olive oil spray, stirring often until softened. Meanwhile, I prepared a quick sauce by sauteing a 1/2 lb of ground turkey with a minced clove of garlic and a bit of chopped onion. I seasoned with salt, pepper, oregano, and a spicy Italian seasoning blend, and simmered for about 10 minutes with a can of diced tomatoes.

Because the dish was so low-calorie, I didn’t feel guilty sprinkling on some extra grated pecorino-romano cheese. Meat and cheese and sort-of-pasta? Well, as long as you like zucchini, you can’t go wrong here! I will submit this to Presto Pasta Nights, and hope that someone out there appreciates this healthy spin a quick weeknight pasta :)

7 Responses to “More on Squash and Pasta”

leosatter — December 5, 2007 @ 6:54 pm Reply

you make me want to start cooking right now! LOL!Maybe you can help me out with something…? I want to order all of my food online from now on because of various reasons, but I don’t know where to go for quality food. I have tried 2 companies so far, Fresh Dining, and and Celebrity Foods, but I wanna get others I can try out. Do you know of any? The main thing I’ve ordered so far is steak. I guess you can say, I’m a steak junkie. LOL!!! From what I have found out (from what I have ordered so far) I think I am able to regulate the quality of beef I buy. I hate going to a store and getting that crappy slab of beef that I have to cut down until there is like nothing left. Hahaha!!!! (its so true though) Anyhow, sorry that I made this comment so long. If you can help me out or point me in a direction where I might find more quality foods online, I would greatly appreciate it. Have a good day or night! (depending on when you read this) LOL!!!!

VeggieGirl — December 6, 2007 @ 12:24 am Reply

I LOVE substituting spaghetti squash and zucchini for pasta – it lends such a lovely flavor, texture, and complement to a variety of toppings and sauces!!

Ruth Daniels — December 6, 2007 @ 9:26 pm Reply

Great dish. Who says “pasta” has to be made of flour? Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

Mollie — December 6, 2007 @ 9:28 pm Reply

Love this! I’ve been using french cut green beans as “pasta” under meat sauce for years, but this is a fresh take. I love zucchini with tomato sauce – we’ll be having this soon!

Rosie — December 6, 2007 @ 9:46 pm Reply

Looks very delicious and I wish I could reach out with my knife & fork and take a taste mmmmmmm…Rosie x

leosatter — April 5, 2011 @ 1:20 am Reply